MrsGig
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ReallyBrown

3 posters

Go down

ReallyBrown Empty ReallyBrown

Post  Bryan Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:33 pm

A play on words.
Bryan Orwell. Really Brown.

I like to gig, to record, to jam, to write, to dep, to laugh and laugh, to escape.
I like to improve by stretching myself.

I like to teach, too. Without being too didactic.
We should all discover together, don't you think?

Here's a muckabout on YouTube from earlier. It's OK, I think.
It's in A major. That's the sound of contentment to me.

I don't write. I fiddle about.
Writing is too grand an expression for what I do. I muck around at it.
But I am determined that I WILL write something good soon by working at the process.
Like a scholar with a wink.

I'm working on my vocals in secret.
I'd love a great voice. It's not too much to ask for, is it?!
The evidence of greatness will appear one of these days.

Well... I've got a condensor mic coming from Thomann.
Get me.

I seem like a prat in writing - but I'm OK, really.

If anybody wants a hand keys-wise, just ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lxeYJgqjM
Bryan
Bryan

Number of posts : 20
Mrs Gig Fun tokens : 0
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

ReallyBrown Empty Re: ReallyBrown

Post  Dmanlamius Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:22 am

That is gorgeous!

Im wondering how we swap and record files to each other, over the net. People DO do it somehow, and I was wondering how things like latency etc would come into it.

But thinking about it, a simple mp3 would work, wouldnt it? I know that in the software i use, i can record right over an mp3, and then chuck it along the line as the "new" mp3. I wonder how that would effect quality?
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius
Comrade
Comrade

Number of posts : 227
Mrs Gig Fun tokens : 9

http://www.Dmanlamius.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryan Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:51 pm

Kris.

A few weeks ago, I sent something to Steve Brand on mr gig via 4SHARED (a file-sharing site I had never heard of) at his suggestion. The idea was to write something together. He sent a guitar loop practice thing and I recorded some keys for it and sent it off.

I am a keen guy about stuff. I like to do things well.

Maybe four weeks ago I sent something else over - a piece of nonsense called Black Dog's Bowl - and Steve said he had added some guitar to it and just has to remix it. It has never come back, and frankly I was trying to be "un-Elton" in the writing.

I don't think that experiment will ever come to anything because the guy seems busy, but I wouldn't mind trying something here with you if you want to. I think that's what you were inferring.

I'm not a good technician, but I have a Boss Portastudio here that I can feed tracks into on CD. So if you were to send an mp3, I could burn it to CD, load it into my machine, and record other tracks onto it. I like that!

I am a novice at this, but I have progressed to recording a number of tracks, including vocals, and bouncing them into one. You know what it's like - The holidays are needed to get an uninterrupted run at things, really, but I'd rather do stuff like this than lose sleep over the day job. Saying that, I'm using this Portastudio with a sax player mate to record all sorts of things, as well as with another keys player.

Thanks for your comments about my playing. I take them as genuine. A lot of players of other instruments only seem interested in their own instrument, if you understand me, so it's very nice of you.

I probably seem full of shit in what I write, but in selecting a few of those video clips, I am pleased that I do not sound like Elton even though I have him on a special duck-feather pillow and Nativity Calendar and in-car air freshener.

If you want to try and put something together over the airwaves, I'll have a go.

By the way... Who is Kamikaze? He writes great posts!
Bryan
Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimGoesSolo Thu May 01, 2008 8:11 pm

That video is lovely bry.
JimGoesSolo
JimGoesSolo

Number of posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Fri May 02, 2008 5:01 am

Kamikaze is a guy called Dan, who lives in Herne bay. He was very like minded in the starting up of Mrsgig with me, and had loads of good energy. His posts are nothing short of hilarious sometimes...

He's vanished now though. Probably due to forum inactivity, and the fact I haven't had the time to promote. Can't blame him, really. Cool I know he's very busy, too.

I've always loved the piano, Bryan! Infact, the only "type" of instrument that doesn't really fascinate me are the ones you have to blow into. It's a different kettle of fish altogether, and I can't get my head round it. Although I dont know how to play piano "properly", if you put me in front of one, you wont get a word out of me for hours...

I'm thinking about just putting a few riffs/compositions/songs up on you tube. That way, you can see what i'm playing, how i'm playing, as can everyone else (local guitarists, vocalists etc that may want to get involved). Then, once people are comfortable with their parts, we could go ahead and record something!

What do you think?
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius
Comrade
Comrade

Back to top Go down

Post  JimGoesSolo Fri May 02, 2008 10:30 am

Dmanlamius wrote:Infact, the only "type" of instrument that doesn't really fascinate me are the ones you have to blow into. It's a different kettle of fish altogether, and I can't get my head round it. Although I dont know how to play piano "properly", if you put me in front of one, you wont get a word out of me for hours...

I hear parts in my head as a horn section, lead lines and what not. I know I couldn't play them if had the instrument in front of me, but I'm often seen humming it into a guitar figure, or recording it and putting MIDI horns over the top of it...

The general consensus says that is a habit that is really rather quite odd.
JimGoesSolo
JimGoesSolo

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryan Fri May 02, 2008 12:12 pm

Chaps.

My second favourite instrument (after keyboards) is the saxophone. I hired an alto sax on a deal from Yamaha Music in Canterbury for three months. I didn't get very far because it was knackering, and I couldn't master the embouchure. I also lack staying power. I want quick results as I'm often in a rush.

I got some bonuses from Yamaha because Phil, the saxophonist in EK1, is the sax tutor there. And he is an awesome 'big' sax player. A really able musician. You can certainly tell he's there!

I can understand how people spend hours at the piano. It's absorbing. I get lost at it.

Kris - Yes. I'm up for that. Post away and I'll gladly have a look and listen.
Bryan
Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimGoesSolo Thu May 08, 2008 4:21 pm

Guys...

I'm recording tomorrow evening, three songs, slower and softer than what people are really expecting from me.

If I get the finished files tomorrow, you mind if I send you the songs, with a view to you recording a little bit over it? I mean, if you think it works better without then I'd appreciate your honesty on the matter.

People keep telling me that they're starting to hear more instrumentation in my songs, and when it comes to keys I can't think of a better person to have involved than Bryan, and I'd love to see what Kris thinks as well. Completely different style to the bass player I have for myself at the moment, I'm intrigued. I'm also wondering what maybe Jenny thinks, if she hears any interesting harmonies or anything.

You mind if I do that?
JimGoesSolo
JimGoesSolo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Thu May 08, 2008 4:46 pm

It'd be a privelage dude.

Send em when done.

Smile
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius
Comrade
Comrade

Back to top Go down

Post  JimGoesSolo Thu May 08, 2008 4:50 pm

Awesome, cheers man!

Got to hope my internet connection can hack uploading files. Its been sucky of late!
JimGoesSolo
JimGoesSolo

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryan Thu May 08, 2008 11:10 pm

Of course, James! Send away. ;-)
Bryan
Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimGoesSolo Fri May 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Emails sent.

Can sent far better versions next week hopefully. I think I kept hitting the microphone that was behind my guitar so I might just scrap that at the next opportunity.

There is a horrible out of time line in Little Love Notes that needs moving into place. Thats kind of embarassing, I was trying out a different rhythm style to the first verse.

Hope you enjoy though Very Happy
JimGoesSolo
JimGoesSolo

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryan Fri May 09, 2008 5:34 pm

I'll listen tomorrow. They're here.
Bryan
Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Fri May 09, 2008 6:00 pm

Yup, tomorrow for me, too.

I've worked a line for the first one that doesnt take from the melody. It has a country feel to it.

I'll have a good go tomorrow, dude.

Smile
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius
Comrade
Comrade

Back to top Go down