MrsGig
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally started...

3 posters

Go down

Finally started... Empty Finally started...

Post  Dmanlamius Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:44 pm

Nearly Three years after completing my first novel, I've finally got round to start writing the second in the trilogy! Very Happy

Barely even a paragraph...but the point is...it's started Very Happy

The Hippo and the Herb-Part Two:

The bird danced in the thermals of the midday sun. Finding little pockets of rising air, it swooshed this way and that, like a ballerina on the Farnborough theatre stage. In it’s happiness and glory, the bird was completely unaware of the black clouds and storm up ahead. It was also unaware of a lot of activity and commotion directly beneath it.

And as it gleefully danced on, majestically swooping, something happened…

…it was hit by a well aimed bolt of lightening.

‘SQUAWK!’ It said.

‘Bloody things.’ A voice grumbled below.

‘Was that necessary?’ Another said, whilst blowing bits of falling feathers away.

‘Yes, of course it was! You think I want bird poo in my eye whilst I’m in battle?’ The voice replied.

‘Good point...’ The other voice started.

‘…and it was a good shot, I have to admit.’ It finished.

‘I could hit the ant on the hippo’s head from half a mile away with this staff. It’s made from Yandel wood. You won’t see a staff like this very often on your travels.’

‘Yes, yes, I hear it holds the magic well. I’d prefer to see it in action, to be honest. All this waiting around is un-settling. Them looking at us, and us looking at them for months on end, why doesn’t Buit just give the orders to attack?’ The second voice replied.

‘Strateegees and all that.’ Said the first voice, shrugging its shoulders.

‘I’m hungry.’

‘We got anything worthwhile to eat?’

‘umm…’ The second voice mumbled, whilst looking around.

‘Bird?’ It finished.

The first voice sighed.

‘Ok…bird it is…’

‘…again.’
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius
Comrade
Comrade

Number of posts : 227
Mrs Gig Fun tokens : 9
Registration date : 2008-03-09

http://www.Dmanlamius.com

Back to top Go down

Finally started... Empty Re: Finally started...

Post  theo Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:54 pm

Very pratchett-esque. You mean its not it's though near the beginning. Very Happy

Sounds good though, nice clean punchy style.
theo
theo
Comrade
Comrade

Number of posts : 50
Mrs Gig Fun tokens : 0
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.myspace.com/aliquotflow

Back to top Go down

Post  carryonanon Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:44 am

good on you. i've been rubbish lately. i started writing a really good one but i think my lack of spare time this year is really taking it's toll. plus i'm in a bit of a rut so i don't really have much inspiration. makes me a bit nervous though as i'm supposed to start my creative writing degree in september.

i like it because it's original but not obscure. i like things that are easy to read. as much as i loved everything is illuminated (john safran foer) and similar books, there's such a pretencious heaviness about it, which isn't necessary.
carryonanon
carryonanon

Number of posts : 42

http://www.sponsorformsonline.co.uk/cariadandkatie.asp

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:07 am

I didnt know you were doing a creative writing course??

It's that type of education I think I need. Then again, the guys at the BBC loved the first few chapters of the first book, because they felt it was "coming from my mouth" rather than being over academic, as you say. Maybe i should just keep it like that.

I'm giving it a real good go now. Everyone that has read the first book has really enjoyed it (including best selling author, Geoff thompson). I've cleaned it up since everyone else has read it, and im pretty chuffed. Getting a book published is a LOT of hard work though, and is harder than getting you band signed these days. But as i said, i'm giving it a good go.

The only thing that is holding me back (i've tried for years) is the synopsis. I cant just rip my book apart, and give the bare bones version, and STILL have the same humour, throughout.
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius
Comrade
Comrade

Number of posts : 227
Mrs Gig Fun tokens : 9

http://www.Dmanlamius.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carryonanon Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:20 pm

yeah. that's how i write, too. really informally, and in a talking manner. it's fine and it makes it really obvious that it's me, but i can find it hard when i am required to write in a formal tone. the only thing i find it hard to do is to keep focused on something for a long time. i get five chapters in and just think oh this is crap and leave it. i need like constant reassurance and new brainstorming all the time so that i'm excited about the next bit i need to write. i think that's why james was invented really.
carryonanon
carryonanon

Number of posts : 42

http://www.sponsorformsonline.co.uk/cariadandkatie.asp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum