MrsGig
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'VE CO-WRITTEN A SONG. HOW DO WE SPLIT THE ROYALTIES?

2 posters

Go down

I'VE CO-WRITTEN A SONG.  HOW DO WE SPLIT THE ROYALTIES? Empty I'VE CO-WRITTEN A SONG. HOW DO WE SPLIT THE ROYALTIES?

Post  Admin Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:39 pm

(from the musicians union)

There are no set rules about who is entitled to what share in a particular work. This has to be discussed and common sense used. Some bands split all publishing royalties equally amongst all band members, regardless of who actually wrote the songs. Other bands may have one songwriter who collects all the publishing royalties. Obviously, if only one person collects the publishing royalties this can lead to an imbalance of earnings and frustration on the part of the other band members. The old days of splitting a song 50/50 (lyrics and music) as a matter of course have gone but such an arrangement is often not a bad starting point for negotiations. Some people divide it into thirds (lyrics, topline melody and music) but again, this is often just used as a guideline or starting point for negotiations. If you feel you have both made an equal contribution to the writing process then perhaps a 50/50 split would be sensible. If your contribution was small, then anything from 5% upwards may be right. It's all down to negotiation. The Union has co-writers' forms that we can send you to use. Fill them in for each track as it's written and as soon as you decide how you want to split the song.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 197
Mrs Gig Fun tokens : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

https://mrsgig.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

I'VE CO-WRITTEN A SONG.  HOW DO WE SPLIT THE ROYALTIES? Empty Re: I'VE CO-WRITTEN A SONG. HOW DO WE SPLIT THE ROYALTIES?

Post  rifimus Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:36 pm

try and be mates with the rest of your band, that way its a thing beetween mates and not formal, and thats the way music works, unless your contracting someone to write the songs for you, in which case you dont deserve any royalties anyway!
rifimus
rifimus

Number of posts : 36
Mrs Gig Fun tokens : 0
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down